Skip to main content

A painful lesson – a bully’s story | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

A painful lesson – a bully’s story

            It was indeed a painful lesson for me.

            I was the notorious school bully. My friends and I would usually go around picking on smaller built individuals. We would beat them to a pulp and found satisfaction in doing so. I radiated such an aura of menace that everyone stayed an arm’s length away from me. Little did I know what was in store for me …

            It was dismissal.

            Pupils were rushing forward to their parents and domestic helpers at the school gates like bullets from a revolver upon school dismissal. Exuberance bubbled among the pupils as they walked back home eagerly. To my friends and I, it was just another bullying session once again. Without hesitation, I set my almond-shaped eyes on Jamie.

            Jamie was an effeminate bespectacled classmate of mine. As small as a dwarf, he was a kind, tousle-haired boy who always helped other people in need. Why must he much more perfect than me? IQ perfect, EQ perfect, you name it. The jealousy I bore against him had literally consumed me. As such, he inevitably became my victim.

            Forcing Jamie against a whitewashed wall, I said in my deep baritone voice, “Did you have a nice walk?” Apprehension swirled around Jamie like winter chill, he turned into a clipped-tongue stutter. “What … what” Before he could even complete his sentence, I slammed his head against the wall and threw his spectacles in the direction of my friend, Jonathan. I then whispered quietly into Jamie’s ear, “Give me all your money, or – “

            Just then, a familiar stentorian voice drifted towards my ears, interrupting my speech.

            “Matthew, what are you doing?” it screamed out. Dropping Jamie with a thunderous thud, I turned my head to face the person who had uttered those words. On doing so, I stood rooted to the ground, all pale and unmoving like an alabaster statue. Instinctively, I looked back, only to see Jonathan and the others flee like gold medal Olympians. As hapless as a baby, I could only watch the discipline master approach me like a stormtrooper …

            I am now in the principal’s office, awaiting helplessly for an almost certain doom. A pang of pain gripped my heart as tears and sobs bemoaned my olive face. Oh, the regret! Oh the sorrow. The reality of my deplorable situation hit me like a sledgehammer as I caught a glimpse of the principal’s cane.

            It was indeed a painful lesson for me, one which I should remember for many years to come.


Signing off,
Elijah Wee, Singapore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bad experience with car wash and bird poop | Essay for 9 year olds | Elijah Wee | Singapore

Here's one of those funny incidents which could happen to almost anyone these days ;-) "A bad experience with car wash and bird poop" .             “Home sweet home,” Mr Lim muttered as he drove his car into the carpark near his flat. It was a sweltering hot Saturday afternoon. My Lim and his wife, Mrs Lim, were returning from a day of shopping. They were driving around looking for an available parking lot.  Sunlight poured through Mr Lim’s car windows.  The air-conditioner could not cope with the sweltering heat, plus it was extremely challenging for Mr Lim to concentrate in the blazing hot sun.             At that juncture, Mrs Lim spotted an available parking lot under a Flame of the Forest tree.   She gesticulated excitedly , “Honey, why don’t you park your car under that Flame of the Forest tree?   Besides, it would provide shade for the car from the s...

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs … ...

Incident of cheating at the exams (Primary 4 essay for 10 year olds by Elijah Wee, Singapore)

I am particularly proud of this essay I wrote when I was in Primary 4  (10 years old) at Ngee Ann Primary School - received my personal best score for this one, entitled "Incident of cheating at the exams" .     John was a lazy boy. He would always play computer games and watch television. One day, before his English examination, he began to panic as he had not revised for it. John took out his textbook and copied some notes down on the palm of his hand.     The next day, when the English examination had started, their form teacher, Mrs Ong, left the examination hall and the stern-looking Mrs Lim entered. As John was writing on his paper, he encountered a difficult question. No matter how hard he tried to think of the answer, his mind remained a blank state . Just then, an idea brewed in his mind, "Why not copy the answers from the palm of my hand?"     Before copying, John scanned the whole place like a robber on the lookout for men in b...