Skip to main content

A light purse makes a heavy heart | English short story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"A light purse makes a heavy heart", my next story, tells us that there is no easy way out in life and one has to own up to what one has done. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.


         A light purse makes a heavy heart.

         That was what I always used to tell myself. We were poor. Ever since Father’s demise, Mother has been working tirelessly day and night to make ends meet. The number of wrinkles on her face evidently showed the years of devotion she had selflessly put in to support the family. Sporting bone white hair and a body almost as thin as stick, Mother looked as old as the hills. Despite being told of the importance of ‘wants’ and ‘needs’, I just could not seem to stop shooting envious glances at what my classmates could very well afford. Take for instance, the latest phone model that made me as Jealous as a Spaniard. Can I buy it? The answer was very simple – NO! One fateful Friday afternoon, I just could not resist to give in to my temptation of stealing money to purchase the object, I longingly desired to own.

         Like a routine, I took a stroll, prodding on with a facial countenance as glum as an oyster. Till this day, I still could not persuade Mother into purchasing a mobile phone for me. The generation gulf between us was simply too wide. Does Mother ever understand my thoughts and feelings?

         Out of the blue, I caught a glimpse of a brown leather wallet on the ground. Opening it, I could not believe my eyes! So much money! I can now purchase the latest Samsung phone that I had a burning desire to have! Grinning from ear to ear, I pocketed the wallet as audacious as the day before leaving in a hurry.

         On reaching the floor where my apartment was, I saw Mrs Gan, our neighbor. From her facial expression, it was evident that something was worrying her. What was happening? Why was she so perplexed? Seeing me, Mrs Gan rushed over and asked, “Have you seen my brown wallet?” Brown wallet? Did the wallet I just steal belong to her? Not wanting to admit the truth, I answered her question as an innocent child would do so. With a straight face, I answered with a ‘No’. Then, I rushed into my house before I was questioned any further.

         My relief was short-lived. As soon as I entered the living room, there stood Mother, her eyes fixed on the brown wallet bulging out of my pants’ pocket.

         “What is that wallet doing in your pocket? Isn’t it the brown wallet that belongs to Mrs Gan?” Mother asked, her voice edged with suspicion that I had stolen Mrs Gan’s wallet. My futile efforts to defend myself failed to prove myself innocent. Defeated, I searched Mother’s face but it told me nothing. Nothing at all. It extremely agonised me. Moments later, with a deep sigh which wrung my heart, Mother turned her downcast eyes on me. I could tell from her deep-set eyes that she was utterly disappointed with my behavior, with me.

         As she cast her disappointed eyes off me in disgust, I stood rooted to the ground, reflected on my foolish actions and made up my mind to admit the truth to Mrs Gan.

         It was not easy. Even after my apology, I had to endure hell and hot speech that sliced through my eardrums and broke the otherwise pregnant silence. After being let off with a stern warning, I returned the wallet, hung my head low and walked back home, cheeks burning with shame.

         ‘As you make your bed so you must lie on it’. That was Mother’s favourite catchline. Well, I certainly learnt it the hard way. That horrendous incident had rid me of my honesty, leaving the only viable senses like greed to overpower me, throwing me off the path of good that day. Yes, the incident not only taught me a harsh lesson, I also swore never to steal again, so as to not get myself into bigger trouble in the near future and disappoint Mother once more …


Till the next time,
Elijah Wee, Singapore

Photo credit: eamylove / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards