Skip to main content

Robbery at NTUC Supermarket | Essay for 10 year olds | Elijah Wee | Singapore

Here is an essay I wrote way back during my Primary Three school holidays, "Robbery at NTUC Supermarket".


robbery photo: Most people wouldn't be laughing in a robbery 485229_10151227667007143_1458608849_n.jpg


“Mum, can I accompany you to Fairprice Finest?” I asked Mother. “Of course you can,” Mother replied. She was going to the supermarket, Fairprice Finest to buy some eggs as there were none left.


When we reached Fairprice Finest, the place was packed like a can of sardines. People were buying food, dairy products and other essentials too. Mother gently informed me, “Remember the golden rule. Do not wander off or you may get lost. Always stick close by.” I nodded my head in acknowledgement. Half an hour and we had gathered all the groceries. We were just about to go to the cashier to pay for the eggs when we heard an ear-piercing scream.

Startled out of my wits, I took a step back. I took two steps forward as I wanted to catch a glimpse of what was going on. To my utter astonishment, I saw several armed robbers. They were holding knives, which glinted under the fluorescent light. One of the robbers was barking orders like an army sergeant. The robber had a skull-shaped tattoo on his left arm and his hazelnut brown eyes were cold. He was pointing a razor sharp knife at the cashier’s neck. He then viciously ordered her to empty the cash register. Trembling in fear, the cashier handed the robber everything she had in it. The robber grinned broadly and in a hysterical laughter, placed everything into a brown gunny sack.

Meanwhile, his armed accomplices demanded the customers to empty their wallets and remove their jewellery and place them into another gunny sack. Obediently, they listened like primary school children. I muttered a prayer softly, hoping for this ordeal to be over. Satisfied with their ‘takings’ for the day, the three mashed individuals decided to flee the scene. As they prepared to make their exit, a thunderous voice reverberated through the otherwise quiet place, “Don’t move or I will shoot!” It turned out that there was an anonymous tip off from a member of the public. It explained why the police had arrived at the scene.

The 50 strong police officers cordoned off the supermarket making it impossible for the robbers to escape. Fortunately, the robbers surrendered and decided not to hold hostages. Three police officers handcuffed the helpless robbers and dragged them into the siren blaring police car. I heaved a sigh of relief, delighted that the incident was over.

It was indeed a nerve-racking experience for the customers and me. After this incident, whenever I see a knife, I would feel a cold, sinking fear gripping me and recall the terrifying incident that happened to me.

If you like this essay, you may like to read:
  1. A Burglary by Deceit
  2. Encounter with a burglar by Choi Minh
  3. A knock on the door in the middle of the night by Xiu Min
  4. Encounter with a burglar by Yee Xuan
  5. Encounter with a burglar by me
  6. Encounter with a thief in the MRT station


See you later,

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards