Skip to main content

My Ultimate Moment (in sport) | Essay for 10 year olds | Stephanie Luong | Singapore

Please welcome another of my Ngee Ann Primary School classmate, Stephanie Luong, in joining our community of young writers in my blog. Here is her first published essay "My ultimate moment (in sport)".


            The moment was finally here. It was now, or never. I had to win the trophy in order to prove myself worthy, and a small part of me wanted the wipe the smirk off my rival’s face, Mackenzie, as I knew how much that girl had yearned for that trophy. As all the participants gathered at the starting line, I looked up at the sea of faces and finally spotted my friends who were waving frantically and giving me the thumbs-up. I gave them a sly smile, took a deep breath, and walked towards the starting line. The arena was filled with people chatting enthusiastically. The mascots from the different houses were all doing their best to encourage the participants. Since I was representing the Yellow House, which was the best team so far, I was determined to do a good job and make my team proud.

            As we formed our starting positions, I whispered good luck to Mackenzie, who just rolled her eyes and said, “You think I need good luck? You’re the one who’s going to need the luck, loser!” And with that, she turned her back on me. After hearing what she said, I was so steamed up that I could have just burst through the starting line! My heart raced and beat a million times faster as the umpire shouted, “One! Two! Three! Go!” Once I heard the word “Go!” I ran full speed ahead, ignorant of my surroundings.

            After jumping over several hurdles, my feet started to ache and feel sore, and my lungs and chest were practically on fire but at least, the finish line was only a few feet away. Just as I was jumping over my second last hurdle, Mackenzie zoomed past me and at the same time, gave me a hard shove. I tumbled and landed right smack in the middle of the running track. There was a moment of silence, as everyone stared wide-eyed. I sat there and panted as the merciless afternoon sun shone right onto my face. “That’s it! I give up! I officially give up! There’s no way I can catch up with them,” I thought to myself, as more runners zoomed past me.

            I got up, feeling angry. Then, everyone started cheering and I used up what was left of my energy and sprinted past the finish line, split seconds before Mackenzie did. I could not believe it! I had won! How was that even possible? Even though I was in cloud nine, I was too lethargic to celebrate. I trudged over to the platform to receive my trophy. I wiped my face with my shirt which was drenched with perspiration. I could hear the crowd go wild as I received the humongous shiny trophy.

            I looked over my shoulder and caught a glimpse of Mackenzie throwing a tantrum. “Wow! She has got so much energy even after all that running!” I thought to myself as I giggled. Holding that trophy was the most memorable thing ever in my entire life! However, I would also not forget when I went over to Mackenzie, told her that she could always participate the following year and how she begged me to give her my trophy. Well, I guess it serves you right, Mackenzie! My friends came running to me and hugged me tightly. I would never forget that moment!

If you like this essay, you may also like:
  1. The Competition by Tang Yu Jun
  2. The Competition by Kooi Xiu Min
  3. The Competition by Elijah Wee
  4. Art Contest in the Park by Elijah Wee
  5. The First Catch in a Fishing Trip by Elijah Wee

Do you have any sporting moments or life's triumphs to share?

Talk soon~

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards