Skip to main content

Betrayed | Short Story for Kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

I enjoyed writing the following short story "Betrayed" which tells about a heist gone wrong. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I loved writing it.


            Betrayed …

            It all started like this. I was the leader of a notorious gang known as the Mandarin, committing heists all around the prosperous island of Singapore. Our team consisted of Jack, John and myself. Jack Worming was a small ratty-looking man whose front teeth stuck out underneath an apparently well-groomed moustache – incidentally his pride and joy. Jack was the brains of the team – his deep-set eyes could burrow into your deepest thoughts and his thin lips were periodically pursed into a cryptic smile.

            John Armstrong, however, was the muscle, in the team. He was probably once a competitive athlete as even up till this day, the muscles on him were still clearly evident. Sporting a clean-shaven scalp, a bull-dog countenance, a thick bull-neck, big and broad shoulders, enormous hands which could scoop me up as if I were a kitten, and piston-like legs, John was one you would not want to mess with.

            Getting now to me – I was the leader. I possessed rather an evil personality and an exceptional good skill of planning heists. I was indeed very handsome and a clever person. I sported a wiry frame and raven dark hair. We all had a good run and enjoyed a good life.

            However, during one of our heists one fateful day, things did not go according to plan …

            We had planned the greatest heist of the century - Kim Hua Jewellery’s new shop. It was located in a remote location which was right at the end of a deserted street.

            Jack and I dashed into the shop, instantly shooting the security guard on duty. Rushing hurriedly into the shop, John swept all the loot into an old, brown rucksack. Grinning from ear to ear, I thought to myself of the long-awaited alluring sweet smell of success in life – wealth and a high flying luxurious lifestyle, has finally reached me. The mountain-top exhilaration bubbled inside me like a fizzy soda.

            Just then, I spotted my fellow friends shivering fearfully. Their faces were as pale as a ghost. What was the matter with those stupid nerds? Without a word, my “two friends” took off, leaving me with a bewildered look on my face. Looking fast into the distance, it suddenly dawned upon me that I had been taken for a ride. Something was dreadfully amiss!

            At that juncture I felt a gentle tap on my shoulders. Startled, I turned around only to catch a glimpse of a wooden face and stocky-built man behind me, his hold on my right shoulder tightened and anchored me down. A sea of grim-looking men advanced swiftly from behind him and surrounded him. Then a startling realization hit me like a delayed action bomb.

            The men were the police. Those darned friends I had! I had been taken for a fool! Given a chance to shoot them, I would have done so without a flinch.

            A laugh in a sea of sadness. What I could only manage with a voice like that of a crow. The blazing sun overhead in all its resplendent glory, looked up into the distant azure blue sky from within the walls I would be locked away for the next thirty years and that was the minimum.

            Betrayed by friends I had known for so many years.
           
            Betrayed by partners who have worked with me in so many heists.

            Betrayed into captivity.


            Betrayed.

If you like reading this, you may also like these stories:



More stories and short essays to come. See you soon.


Photo credit: brookenovak / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards