Skip to main content

A punishing incident | Short Story for Kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

Have you ever experienced (probably yes?) a most unforgettable incident which served as a hard lesson in your life? Well, here is a story about "A punishing incident" ... 


         The day was indeed beautiful.

         I had managed to persuade Mother to let me go to East Coast Park to cycle. At first, she was rather reluctant and thought I would get into trouble. But after much coaxing she agreed. Till this day, I can still remember the fateful moment of sweet success and triumph. Oh, how happy!

         “ Hey guys! I’m here! Sorry to keep you waiting,” I called out to my friends, Zack and Sean. They were waiting under the coconut palm at East Coast Park. A few days back, we had planned to meet up at East Coast Park to head out cycling. Last week, I had acquired new cycling skills and could not wait to show them off to my friends. Upon reaching the bicycle pathway ten minutes later, we got ready at our respective positions.

         “Ready, set, go!”

         In the blink of any eye, I sped off. My bicycle seemed to be faster than the speed of light or so I had thought. Everything seemed to become a blur. Zack and Sean were lagging behind. They eyed me with jealous cynicism.

         “Ha! Ha! I can ride a bicycle without two hands. Bet you two can’t. Even worse, you two are as slow as turtles. In fact, even slower!” I taunted Zack and Justin. They really were extremely slow!

         At that juncture, my friends’ expressions changed from envious looks to horrified faces. Their chestnut brown eyes widened with terror. “Dominic, look out! Look what’s in front of you!” Justin’s ear-piercing warning sliced through my eardrums. Was Justin just being a green-eyed monster?

         “Don’t be an ass, Justin. I know that you are jealous!” I yelled back. However, Justin exclaimed that I should follow what he had told me back then.

         Turning around, my throat tightened. Oh dear! I was going to collide into a Yellow Flame tree. The tree trunk looked as though it would inevitably scar my face and leave a permanent mark on my face. I would be disfigured for life! Petrified, my throat tightened and my face drained of colour.

         In the nick of time, I managed to leap off my bicycle. However, disaster struck. As I stuck out my left hand to break my fall, I heard a loud and nasty cracking sound. Had I broken left wrist? Why was I in such pain? Tears of agony rolled down my cheeks. Moments later, I began to see stars hovering above me. A multitude of questions raced through my mind. In my last moments of sight, I saw Zack dialing 999 for help while Justin began comforting and assuring that help was on the way.

         I blacked out.

         I regained consciousness only to find myself in a room. Mother was sitting beside me, sniffling. My left arm was in a sling.

         “Are you Dominic?” Before I could reply the doctor’s question, he continued, “It seems like you have fractured your left arm.” He was right. When I tried to move my arm, it hurt! Tears later welling up in my eyes. Like a faulty faucet, I began weeping bitterly. Tears of deep regret on the act of showing off at the park streamed down my cheeks.

         I was affected not by my left arm being in a cast and help up by a sling but rather traumatised by the entire ordeal, one which could have been avoided. This nightmarish of an experience is still deeply etched in my mind and remains a chip on my shoulder till this very day.

Hard knocks in life help to guide us. Have you ever had similar experiences?


Photo credit: ashoe / Foter / CC BY-NC

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards