Skip to main content

A Close Shave (the tree incident) | Short Story for Kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

Here is another version of "A close shave" - something about a tree incident ... 


    I was dreadfully hungry.

    Golden rays of sunshine sprinkled the ground. Despite the cheery sunshine, I trudged back home, my face as glum as an oyster. It was a tranquil Saturday afternoon and I was taking a stroll along the pavement round my neighbourhood. I was in an extremely bad mood as I was currently suffering from gastric pains. Why did I not eat anything for breakfast and lunch? Such a silly person I had been.

    Then, something happened.

    For some inexplicable reason, I shot a furtive glance at Miss Shah's garden. She was my neighbour and a close friend of my mother. Miss Shah had false eyelashes that stuck out a foot in front of her lovely Madonna face. She always enjoyed growing mangoes. Seeing the juicy ripe mangoes weighing down the branches of her mango tree, I drooled and rubbed my hands gleefully. "Hmm ... how about getting some of those juicy mangoes for myself?" I muttered to myself ecstatically as I clambered over the fence and crept into Miss Shah's garden as quiet as a mouse.

    Before scaling up the mango tree, I scanned my surroundings like a robber looking out for men in blue. With cat-like dexterity, I then climbed up the tree, reached out and plucked the largest and juiciest mangoes my eyes laid fancy on. Ten minutes later and as I was just about to make my descent down the mango tree, when the branch I was clinging onto snapped loudly.

    Everything happened at once.

    My arms flailing wildly and helplessly as I hurtled towards the ground like a rocket towards Earth, I tried in great despair to grab onto another branch for support but my efforts were futile. The next moment, I landed onto the ground with a thunderous thud. I howled in pain. Agony coursed like an angry snake through my veins as pain coalesced into random streams of tears that burst forth, streaming down my cheeks like a faulty faucet. Any movement I made gave rise to extreme pangs of pain. I could do nothing except to lie still on the hard ground, enduring the extreme pain in my body, praying fervently for someone to come help me soon.

    It seemed like an eternity before Miss Shah discovered me lying on the ground in her garden. Listening to my painful narrative sympathetically, Miss Shah helped me up gingerly and carefully supported me back home.

    Back in my bedroom, Mother was furious like a bull in the arena, as she listened to Miss Shah's narration on the incident that had passed. After Miss Shah departed, Mother's anger was like that of Medusa in an attack. Her gaze, full of rage, bored deep into my soul. Hell soon broke loose. I had to endure a severe tongue-lashing from Mother. "See, now look at the mess you have got yourself into. Sean, you should have eaten when you had the opportunity to do so!" Mother berated on furiously. I could only hang my head low and listen on, feeling as hapless as a baby. " Sorry, Mother ... " I muttered my sincere apology ruefully.

    All of a sudden, there was pin drop silence - just like the calm after a raging storm. Mother's furious face softened and she sighed. With the lightest of touch, Mother cupped my left cheek with her right hand and muttered softly, "What a close shave, Sean, I could have lost you ... " Without another word, I embraced Mother tearfully.

    "What a close shave," I thought to myself as I vowed never again to perform such foolhardy actions and endanger my life ever again.

What a really painful incident. Have you ever climbed trees?

Till the next time,

Photo credit: barfightbob / Foter / CC BY-NC




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards