Skip to main content

It was all my fault | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"It was all my fault" tells an unfortunate story when feelings got in the way of action ... 


            It was all my fault.

            It all started from the rivalry my cousin, Fenton and I had. Fenton was the most filthy rich pupil in my class. He was unbelievably intelligent too. What made him a source of perfection was that he was extremely handsome. His raven dark hair and huge dark eyes certainly attracted lots of attention. In comparison, I was poor. Ever since Father’s demise, Mother needed to work hard so as to make ends meet. Furthermore, I was not even the least bit intelligent. The last straw was that I paled in comparison to Fenton where looks was concerned. I was corpulent and not to mention, had a pimply face. Why is God so unfair? My jealousy continued till that fateful day.

            “Nicole, Timothy and Rayson, would you like to come over to my place for a dip in my swimming pool?” Fenton asked the three of us during recess. Nicole and Timothy eagerly nodded their heads in agreement. Reluctantly, I nodded my head. Knowing the degree of hatred I bore toward him, Fenton added, “That’s great!” Hope to see all of you,” and hastily left. Nicole and Timothy immediately tagged along like ants to sugar. As I looked on yearningly at Nicole’s light brown hair rippling in the breeze, my blood began to boil. Oh, how I wished Fenton would disappear into thin air. With a petulant expression plastered on my face, I walked away.

            With the blink of the eye and it was Saturday afternoon. Dressing up rather begrudgingly, I trudged towards Fenton’s house with each step being a reluctant one. I was not the least bit pleased seeing Fenton talking to Nicole and Timothy. From the corner of his hazelnut brown eyes, Fenton spotted me. Greeting me warmly, he gestured in the direction of the pool. Nicole and Timothy made a beeline for the swimming pool. At that moment, Fenton gently asked, “I was wondering if – “ Interrupting what he had wanted to say, I told him to shut up. Fenton just stood rooted to the ground like a statue, his mouth agape. Ignoring him, I joined the others.

            The water was as cold as ice, but the hatred that had been festering in me overwhelmed the coldness. The nerve of Fenton to dare and ask me a question. The nerve of him! Anyway …

            “Help me! I’ve got a muscle cramp!”

            Somehow … that sounded like Fenton. Looking  around, I realized that Fenton was thrashing his arms wildly in the pool. Ironically, the harder he kicked, the deeper he sank into the water. His eyes darted around to find a Saviour.

            Then, his eyes met mine.

            Should I help him or not? My insane jealousy made the decision – No. A look of disappointment was plastered all over Fenton’s face as I left the pool. Nicole and Timothy attempted to rescue Fenton but it was already too late. Nicole called the nearby hospital while Timothy and I stared hard at Fenton’s motionless body.

            Three months had passed and Fenton’s parents were still hoping fervently for Fenton to awake from his coma. Till now, I still recall vividly the tears that welled up in Fenton’s mother’s eyes day after day. The blank but hurtful look written all over his father’s eyes as he stared hard at Fenton’s lifeless body. What struck me then was how my own jealousy had caused the loss of my lifetime rival. Thus, the truth cannot be denied.

            It was all my fault.


Till the next essay,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards