Skip to main content

An act of cowardice | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of cowardice" tells a story of what caused a good friend to be lost ... 


         Justin was my best friend.

         In my eyes, Justin had always been the perfect gentleman and to the extent of being effeminate. Exceptionally puny for his age, he bore delicate elf-like features, adorned with expressive doe-like eyes. He stuck out like a sore thumb in our class as he was the only one who was soft-spoken. Do not judge a book by its cover. Justin often spared a thought for others but unfortunately frequently to his disadvantage. While boarding a bus back home, he would often allow the rest of the commuters to board first. His selflessness deprived him of a much needed seat despite his long journey home. When asked, Justin would often shrug his shoulders and answered with a broad smile that making the day and environment better for everyone was in itself a rewarding endeavor. His gentle demeanor was appreciated by all who came into contact with him. Every single day, we could spend hours taking, playing soccer or reading. The close relationship we had was simply wonderful. I still have vivid memories of that fateful day.

         I was as happy as a lark.

         My almond shaped brown eyes glinted with indescribable joy. I had passed my examinations with flying colours! Mother would definitely be proud of me! Carrying my maroon school bag, I treaded back home with steps that seemed to have springs in them. Birds chirped melodiously as if they were celebrating my sweet success together with me!

         Deeply engrossed in my thoughts, I unknowingly stumbled upon an alley. A sea of darkness enveloped the alley accompanied by forbidding silence.

         Silence.

         At that juncture, a whimper punctuated the laid-back air surrounding the silent alley. Then, gales of laughter rang out. It sounded very familiar to me, just like what I would often hear during recess. What was it? It was none other than Tim and John, the infamous school bullies. Who was their victim this time round?

         I had to find out.

         Slowly tiptoeing into the dark alley with trembling steps, my blood ran cold. A prickling sense of fear crept down my vertebrae. Tim and John were seen bullying Justin. I gasped on seeing their terrible actions. Tim held terrified Justin captive with an iron grip. John used a bamboo stick and rained Justin with blows to his malnourished body. My helpless friend was being beaten senselessly by the two bullies. When do these two ever stop?

         With bulging muscles, Tim looked as sturdy as an oak. His bulldog-like demeanor made him out to be a force to be reckoned with. His hold on Justin was extremely tenacious and he evilly chuckled at Justin, who was struggling to squirm free and whimpered like a tortured kitten. Justin was indeed weak like a newborn calf compared to this burly bully.

         “What a wimp!” John proclaimed as he continued to beat Justin with the bamboo stick.

         Collapsing like a wreck in an accident, Justin’s body was polka-dotted with multiple bruises. In between agonizing whimpers, his coal-black eyes scanned his surroundings like a robber on the lookout for the men in blue. It seemed to me Justin had been searching for a person as bold as brass to save him and release him from his agony. Then, his eyes met mine. A look of hope brightened his tortured face briefly as his eyes sent me an imploring plea for help.

         My fight-or-flight instinct kicked in.

         Flight was the obvious choice, like a bawling baby toddler screaming at me. Who wanted to be involved in this? The last look on Justin’s face as I turned and fled the scene as cowardly as a wild duck was one of pure anguish and disappointment.

         My act of cowardice was as good as punching Justin too. In the end, Justin was hospitalized and his parents lodged a complaint against the school. To add fuel to fire, I did not even step forward with the truth when the school disciplinary master questioned me if I had witnessed the bullying taking place. Since then, I never saw Justin again. It was as clear as a bell – I had lost my best friend, all because of my inaction.

         Till this day, I regret my act. I am so fearful of apologizing to Justin for fear of being rebuked by him. I know that I should and probably would someday soon.

Till the next story,

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards