Skip to main content

A sad twist to an incident in the MRT train | English Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"A sad twist to an incident in the MRT train" was an essay I submitted recently in school.

            I started to cry.

            Recently, my grades had dropped from As to Cs due to my conceit and addiction to playing online games. My parents were totally devastated by the drop in my academic grades. Being uneducated food hawkers, all they could do was try to counsel me but to no avail. To make matters worse, I recently failed my Mathematics exam; and Mathematics had always been my strongest suit. That was the final straw. My attitude in class deteriorated. I was also coerced by Joe and his cool gang into taking up smoking. Several weeks after my first puff, I was addicted. Every puff was like a lifeline – offering me temporary relief from my current predicament.

            My addiction soon came to an unpredictable end.

            “Blast it! There is not enough money to buy cigarettes!” I grumbled like an old man as I entered the MRT train bound for home. Slumping onto the nearest unoccupied brightly-coloured cold seat, I double-checked my wallet. My fear was confirmed. I sighed in great frustration. How could I obtain enough money to buy my cigarettes? All at once, an idea began formulating in my mind like a planted seed germinating. I began planning and looking around for possible victims.

            My eyes settled on the frail old lady sitting beside me. This made it easy for me to execute my plan. Rubbing my hands in glee, I prayed for the old lady to be on the train until it reached my station.

            It seemed like an eternity before the train arrived at my station. Shooting a glance to my right, I could not believe my luck! The old lady was still sitting beside me. At that juncture, the train doors hissed open.

            I snatched the old lady’s Prada bag out of her scrawny hands. The old lady screamed in a hoarse voice for help. Immediately, I took to my heels, running out of the MRT train and wormed my way swiftly through the startled crowd. After running like an escaped convict for an imperceptibly long time, I hid myself at the stairway of an HDB block a few hundred meters away from the MRT station and looked around nervously to see if I was followed.

            Waiting for another ten minutes and seeing that the coast was clear, I made my way to the nearby convenience store to purchase my favourite brand of cigarettes. The stall owner, a middle-aged man who was as bald as an egg, examined me like a specimen with suspicious eyes while handing me the packet of Marlboro cigarettes. Before he could further utter a single word, I hastily slammed down twenty dollars on the counter and skedaddled into a nearby public toilet to take a puff.

            “Ah … just what I need,” I muttered contentedly before taking another puff of the cigarette. Adrenaline surged through my body with every puff. Tossing the finished cigarette onto the grey floor, I took a deep breath. I was literally on cloud nine. In high spirits, I opened the cubicle door. To my utter astonishment, I was greeted my two grim-looking, stocky men in blue. The old lady whose handbag I had snatched from earlier was standing beside them.

            Apparently, the old lady had called the police to report about the snatch theft with the help of the MRT station staff. My mind soon came screeching to a halt. All feelings of the euphoric happiness that I had experienced earlier abandoned me. Trembling like a winter leaf, I could do nothing but let the policemen handcuff me. As I walked out of the toilet, passers-by shot me disapproving looks. I hung my head in shame. Seeing the dreadfully familiar police car, I bit my lips in regret, thinking about how disappointed my parents would be and how I had just ruined my future. Clambering into the police car, my lips quivered. Tears welled up in my obsidian black eyes.

            I started to cry.


Till the next time,
Elijah Wee, Singapore signing off~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards