Skip to main content

No more anger | Short Story | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"No more anger" tells a story of a most unfortunate action done due to circumstances ... 

         No more anger.

         It all started on that fateful Saturday night. My heart was in my mouth. The buzzing of the streets outside, which sounded like flies humming barely distracted me. I was watching a horror movie entitled “Evil Dead” with my wife, Joanne. We were newly-weds – a month exactly. We were sitting huddled together on the leather sofa watching the movie. Joanne had large, round eyes and long raven dark hair that rippled whenever she strode briskly beside me. A beautiful woman, Joanne was always subjected to male looks lingering on her.

         Then, the real horror started.

         The flickering lights from the television screen which illuminated the living room stopped flashing, plunging the living room into a sea of suffocating darkness. Joanne let out an ear-piercing scream of bewildered terror, which sounded like a banshee. It reverberated around the room, sending echoes into every nook and cranny of the living room.

         “Shut up, you shameless slut!”

         Who was that person to call my wife a slut? My blood began to boil. As if in reply, two masked men stormed into the room like stormtroopers. One of them brandished a Swiss Army knife and barked an order for us to get out of the house. I glared reproachfully at the masked man as I stubbornly stood rooted to the ground very much like a statue. However, something unexpected happened.

         Joanna made a run for the door.

         I gazed admiringly at Joanne until I caught a blurry glimpse of the first masked man’s Swiss Army knife flying towards Joanna. “No!” I let out a heart-stopping bellow of anguish as the knife plunged into Joanne’s stomach, causing crimson red blood to gush out of her mouth and stomach. With a thunderous thud, Joanna’s lifeless body lay on the marble floor. She was dead. Immediately, fury consumed my body like a fire-breathing dragon of rage and instinctively, I lunged for the first masked man, pinning him to the ground. The second masked man dropped his knife and grabbed the seemingly golden opportunity to flee the scene. Throwing the first masked man aside, I picked up the second masked man’s knife and plunged it into the second masked man’s foot. This caused him to fall flat onto the floor.

         “Please … please. Oh! I beg you. Spare me, please?” The first masked man begged. I held him by his shirt’s torso and replied in a raging tone, “Have you ever had an experience of losing a loved one? Have you? Perhaps you need to die in order to understand MY MEANING!” With that, I smashed the first masked man’s head against the wall repeatedly as the familiar wailing sirens of the police cars filled the air.

         Till this day, I still remember the incident vividly. Four whitewashed walls with paint peeling off face me, every day and night. Behind the bars of my prison cell, each day that dawns brings forth a promise of newness, of Divine forgiveness from the Heavens for my gruesome crime. This incident has robbed me of Joanne, but there is no more anger. No more anger, ever since that fateful day when it manifested in me like a sudden bolt of lightning.

         No more anger since it had burned up those two cursed masked men.

         No more need of anger ever again.

         No more anger.

Till the next essay,
Elijah Wee, Singapore


         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards