Skip to main content

What a Birthday Present! | Essay for 10 year olds | Kooi Xiu Min | Singapore

Here is another essay from another of my mainstay writers, Kooi Xiu Min, another classmate from Ngee Ann Primary School - "What a Birthday Present!"



          “Hmmm… I want a ‘Super Soaker’, a ‘Neo Print’, a ‘Duo Dirt Kit’ and oh, a ‘Gladiator Trident’!” I muttered to myself. It was the fifth of July, one day before my birthday! My parents were as busy as a bee, decorating the house for my party. I simply could not wait for the day, the day which I had been yearning for, the day I would have a chance to receive my much-coveted birthday presents!

          The following day dawned bright and cheery. The decorations dangled from the ceiling, adorning my entire house! I was dressed in a casual t-shirt and jeans, waiting for my friends to arrive.

          Ding dong! The doorbell rang resoundingly. I hopped off the chair and dashed to the door. I flung open the door and… “Happy Birthday!” my friends shouted in unison, each with a present in hand. I invited them in and told them to place the presents on the couch, where I would open them after the party games.

          “Ah, you’re all here!” sounded a chirpy voice, my father’s. “Let’s have a game of ‘pass-the-parcel’!”

          A voice interrupted him, “Can we watch Xiu Min open the presents first?” John pleaded, and a few others nodded their heads in agreement.

          “Oh, alright!” my father said, clapping his hands.

          “Hooray!” all my friends screamed in delight. In less than a minute, everyone was in the sitting room, squirming around in their seats, waiting in anticipation.

          When all the presents had been opened, my father suddenly reappeared with my mother, a huge parcel in their hands. They set it down gently and nodded for me to open it .I stared at the huge parcel. “Who would buy such a huge present?” thoughts ran over my mind as an awkward silence filled the room. I tore the parcel. “Woof! Woof!” A loud barking sound filled the room. “Oh, my! Isn’t he adorable!” my friend, Lisa, exclaimed.

          Hugging my new pet, I thanked everyone for their presents and walked into the dining room. Everyone gasped at the scrumptious array of food that lay before them. Unfortunately, my dog, which I named Soya, had been rather hungry while waiting in the box. Without warning, he sprang up and leapt onto the cake! Icing and sweets flew up and landed all over everyone. “Soya, you are bad dog!” I shrieked, trying to hide my laughter as I gazed around and saw ‘icing-covered’ people in the room.

          “My, we sure look like Santa Claus!” Lisa remarked, whilst cleaning herself up. Everyone was laughing at the thought of being covered in icing!

          All too soon, the party was over. All the guests agreed that the party had been hilarious. At the same time, we had learnt a lesson to never let a dog near food again!

If you like reading this, you may also like:

Till the next time,
Elijah Wee, Singapore

Photo credit: dms246 / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in the lift | Short essay, story for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"Stuck in the lift" - an experience I am sure a number of you may be able to relate to ... but in this particular case though, it was a little worse than the usual one ...              Brave.             I had always thought I was brave. As brave as a lion. Not fearful of anything.             Until the lift had broken down.             I was waiting patiently for the lift doors to open. A mother and her daughter waited patiently. The mother, clad in a light blue dress made of best quality material, clutched her daughter’s hand. Her lustrous blond hair cascaded down her well-toned shoulders. My innermost thoughts were soon jolted by the familiar mechanical sound of the lift’s doors opening. If only I had reconsidered taking the stairs …             Accompanied by the monotonous whirring sounds of the lift’s mechanical system, we were each absorbed in our thoughts as we looked on at the ascending numbers flashing in sequence on the lift display. Bump!

An act of kindness | Essay for Primary School kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

" An act of kindness" , a essay I wrote earlier in Primary 4 (10 years old) ...           School was over.          “Mountains and mountains of homework! Why do our teachers have to give us so much homework these days?” lamented Jason as he trudged home with heavy footsteps on the pavement. His schoolbag weighed like a ton of bricks. Jason felt that sooner or later he would collapse because of the heavy weight! Jason’s face was as glum as an oyster and he was not in the best of moods.          However, Jason’s mood was soon destined to be changed.          At that juncture, from the corner of his deep-set eyes, Jason spotted an old man hobbling past him. He was a tall shrivelled person who looked as though all body juices had been dried out of him long ago in a hot oven. On his feet, he wore worn-out leather shoes, which looked as though they had been patched up a million times. The old man had scanty white hair, a wrinkly face which was as pale as death. He u

An Act of Bravery | Essay for kids | Elijah Wee | Singapore

"An act of bravery"  was an essay I wrote and was featured recently :-) Hope you like it.             Davin’s act of bravery was certainly admirable.             “Class, this is the new student, Davin Chang. Please welcome him as our new addition!” Mrs Phua, our teacher, informed everyone in her usual chirpy voice. Shooting a look at him, I instantly made a silent decision never to befriend him. Davin was as skinny as a twig and looked shy. What’s more, his school uniform was as old as the hill, indicating that he was probably living in extreme poverty. All of us must have shared the same thoughts, for everyone seemed to look at him in utter disgust. From that day onwards, we made an “oath” - never to befriend him. After all, why bother befriending Davin when he was poor and looked like a rodent?             I should have remembered back then not to judge a book by its cover.             Excitement bubbled in pupils like soda water as they dashed off towards